- Email: email@example.com
- Location: 2.12a, Energy Building
- Sponsor: AstraZeneca
- Primary Supervisor: Professor Sven Schroeder, Chemical & Process Engineering
- Qualifications: MEng Chemical Engineering with a Modern Language, Sheffield; MSc Renewable energy engineering with hybrid systems, Ecole des Mines de Paris
Bethan studied Chemical Engineering with French at the University of Sheffield, with summer placements at Corus R&D, Teesside. After working for a year in a wind turbine consultancy, contributing to programming and testing the offshore component of their modelling software, Bethan studied for a Master’s in Renewable Energy at École des Mines de Paris.
On graduating, there was a lot of demand from developers and planning authorities for support with the implementation of policy to increase the proportion of energy generated from building-integrated low carbon technologies. Bethan set up an energy and sustainability consultancy service within a not-for-profit organisation to respond to this need, later working for an M&E consultancy to enable the application of low energy technologies to be more integral to building design.
Bethan went on to teach science in secondary schools for six years, four as head of Physics.
PhD: Speciation & Particle Engineering of Salts
Can core level x-ray spectroscopy techniques be used to explain the mechanisms of organic salt crystallisation? The aim of the project is to increase knowledge of the mechanisms that occur during salt crystallisation by identifying the intermolecular interactions between the solute, solvent and crystal during cooling crystallisation.
Outreach, training and other activities:
- Student representative on CP3 Management Board Oct 2017 – Oct 2018
- Beamtimes (ESRF, Grenoble and Diamond Light Source)
- Student Helper at IChemE ChemEng Day 2018 (hosted by University of Leeds)
Publications and presentations:
- Poster presentation BACG, Limerick, Ireland, June 2018
- Poster presentation ChemEngDay UK Leeds, 2018
Masters research project in year 1 of CDT:
- ‘Investigation into the production and characterisation of an iron oxide catalyst’ with Robert Hooley, CP3 C#1 and Professor Frans Muller, Chemical & Process Engineering