Prof. Sven Schroeder
Director of Research and Innovation
+44 (0)113 3432401
Professor Schroeder holds the position of Director of Research and Innovation along with the Royal Academy of Engineering Bragg Centenary Chair. Having earned a Diploma in Chemistry at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, he went on to study a PhD at Corpus Christi College in the University of Cambridge, as well as enjoying a stint in 1991-2 as a visiting scholar in chemical engineering at Stanford University. Professor Schroeder is attached to the Institute of Particle Science Engineering and also affiliated with the Molecular Process and Materials Engineering Group, as well as being a member of the Institute for Materials Research (IMR, Institute of Process Research and Development (iPRD). Finally, he is also connected to the Diamond Light Source.
Professor Schroeder’s research interests include the following:
Crystal Growth and Nucleation
- Molecular Mechanisms of Metal Nanoparticle Growth at Liquid-Liquid Interfaces
- Nonlinear Complex Systems Analysis with Quantum Chemical Descriptors
- Spectroscopic In Situ Studies and Computational Modelling of Local Structure in Aqueous Solutions of Complex Molecular Solutes
Pharmaceutical Surface and Interface Science
- Ultrathin Coatings and Overlayers on Pharmaceutical Actives
- Amorphous and Noncrystalline Components in Pharmaceutical Actives and Their Formulations
- Synchrotron X-ray Spectroscopy of Molecular Materials and Products
Instrumentation and Analytical Science
- Automated and Autonomous Instrumentation for Investigations of Complex Chemical Systems
- High-throughput X-ray Absorption Fine-Structure (XAFS) Spectroscopy
- Rheology Automation
- Molecular Mechanism of Chirality Amplification in Organometallic Systems
- Catalytic Low-Temperature Oxidation
- Catalytic Upgrading of Sustainable Feedstocks to Platform Chemicals
- Solid Strong Lewis Acids: Aluminium Fluorides and Oxyfluorides
Heritage Science and Art Conservation
- Surface Analysis of Modern Acrylic Paintings
- Pigment Fading
Some of Professor Schroeder’s selected publications appear below:
Gainar A; Stevens JS; Jaye C; Fischer DA; Schroeder SLM NEXAFS Sensitivity to Bond Lengths in Complex Molecular Materials: A Study of Crystalline Saccharides. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 119, Accepted.
Stevens JS; Gainar A; Suljoti E; Xiao J; Golnak R; Aziz EF; Schroeder SLM Chemical Speciation and Bond Lengths of Organic Solutes by Core-Level Spectroscopy: PH and Solvent Influence on p-Aminobenzoic Acid. Chemistry – A European Journal, 2015.
Booth SG; Uehara A; Chang SY; Mosselmans JFW; Schroeder SLM; Dryfe RAW Gold Deposition at a Free-Standing Liquid/Liquid Interface: Evidence for the Formation of Au(I) by Microfocus X-ray Spectroscopy (μXRF and μXAFS) and Cyclic Voltammetry. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 119, pp.16785-16792. 2015.
Golnak R; Xiao J; Atak K; Stevens JS; Gainar A; Schroeder SLM; Aziz EF Intermolecular Bonding of Hemin in Solution and in Solid State Probed by N K-edge X-ray Spectroscopies. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 17, 2015.
Stevens JS; Newton LK; Jaye C; Muryn CA; Fischer DA; Schroeder SLM Proton transfer, hydrogen bonding, and disorder: Nitrogen near-edge X-ray absorption fine structure and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy of bipyridine-acid salts and co-crystals. Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 15, pp.1776-1783. 2015.
A link to the publications of the SLMS Lab can be found here.